Organizing blog categories is not at all an uphill task wh ich many people make it out to be. Rather, it is a very simple and a straight forward job but too many people seem to get confused when structuring their categories. Below are 5 practical tips which may come in handy while organizing and making your categories more efficient:
- Descriptive category names : Even first time visitors should get familiarized across your blog, through your categories. The categories tell a lot about your blog, and when readers can not figure what is going on around them it is very likely that they will just skip the blog altogether.
- Limited categories : Every blog should have a defined structure and a set of categories to support the topics of the posts. Once you have that basic structure in place just fill the posts inside the existing categories, creating a new category only when it is really necessary.
- Make sure they fit in : Some blogs will work well with few categories, others will need 10 or even 20, just make sure that all the categories fit in one screen. It is very annoying to have to scroll down to see the complete list.
- Try to put posts inside one category : Posts should be placed in one category as placing in multiple categories may create a possibility for the reader reading the same posts over and over again. Exceptions can be made when a certain post really touches more than one category, but those situations are really rare.
- Display the number of posts inside each category : If your blog platform allows you to display the total number of posts inside each category, do it. This feature will make sure that the reader knows what to expect when he clicks a certain category, and it also gives a general orientation about the most discussed topics on your blog.
Thus, by following these five simple, yet effective tricks you can attract a large number of readers to your blogs and become a successful blogger.