Just Google it is a common phrase now and people are actually using this search engine to resolve any and every query. With more than 100 billion monthly searches made on Google, our dependency on Google only strengthens.
The words that you use while making any search may seem very trivial to a layman, but for an SEO expert, these are one of the driving forces that bring higher ranking and more conversions on the page. These words or phrases are called keywords in digital/content marketing terms. And these keywords are very important for your search engine optimization. That said; here are few tips that would help you make proper use of the keywords.
RESEARCHING THE RIGHT KEYWORDS
Researching for the right keywords is one of the first things that should be done even before you start planning the entire content. And mind it, this SEO keyword research is an ever-going process. There's no stop to the research you make to get the right keyword. You always have to update your keywords according to the latest trends. Here are some tips to search the right keyword for your website.
- SEO Keyword Tools: There are many SEO keyword tools available on the internet that lets you find the right keyword for your content. You can use tools like Google AdWord's Keyword Planner to find the right keyword.
- Build Your List And Search: Have a list of keywords and then try various tools to know the SERP ranking you receive. Tools like SEMrush, SEO Centro and Search Engine Genie's Google Rank Checker to know the ranking for the keyword.
- Analyze The Competition: Analyzing the competition is the first thing astute SEO expert do. Know the type of keywords that are highly used and try avoiding ones with more ad results.
Once you have researched the right keyword, you need to know its value and relevance in your content to gain better ranking.
KNOWING THE RIGHT VALUE OF KEYWORD
Knowing the right value and relevance of any keyword is essentially important for any SEO expert. Before you select any keyword you need to make sure that your audience would actually be using the keyword in their search or not. Your keyword should match the type of website that you own. Here are some steps to know the value of your keyword.
- Think From The Audience's Perspective: In order to find the right keyword for your website, you need to step inside your audience's shoes. Think from their perspective. Would they be using the keyword to get a result that your website offers? Will it make them contented to see your website's content from this keyword search result?
- Try The Search Yourself: Once you're satisfied with the result category the keyword would bring, its time you start a search yourself. Google's ad-layout has put a number of advertisements on top and bottom of the result page. You don't want to be stuck with them. Know what types of websites are ranked for the keyword that you have used.
- Calculate The ROI: Before you finalize on any keyword, it is indispensable to know the monetary value it would bring to your site. Would it lead to conversions or not. If yes, how many lead conversions would it bring? The click through rates should also be calculated to know the returns you would get from the keyword.
Once you know the right value that your keyword holds, its time you know the right way to use your keywords.
USING THEM IN THE RIGHT WAY
Many people do a lot of research for their keywords still do not get the right traffic even after selecting the perfect one. The reason behind this lag could be the way you are using your keywords. Knowing the right places where to use a keyword is very important for any SEO practice. It not only optimizes your content for better SERP ranking but also erases the possibility of getting stuck by Googles algorithm.
- Long Tail Keyword: Using short keywords may call for a heavy competition as many websites may be using them; some intentionally while others unintentionally. So, in order to stand a better chance at SERP, you should be using long-tail keywords. They not only set you apart from the competition but also describe your products or services better. Choose one long tail keyword and manage your entire content around it to improve your SEO efforts.
- Meta-description: Google still shows meta-description for every search result. Having the keyword in the meta-description would trigger the audience to open your result first; thereby, increasing the click through rate.
- Content: It is never a good idea to overload the page with the keywords. Google algorithm may discard your content because of the overuse of keywords. The number of keywords used in the content should be between one and four. While using long tail keywords, it should be limited to a maximum two. Draft your content around the keywords so it does not look like you have forcefully stuffed them.
- Other Places: There are other places where using the right keyword is equally important as the in the main content, for a better SEO output. It should be included in the Heading or title, the URL, domain name, image file paths and anchor text as well. This would increase the ranking and get you more traffic as well.
Using the right keywords in the right place would definitely help improve the SEO efforts put in to increase the traffic as well as SERP ranking. Use all the tips that have been mentioned in this write-up to get more ranking and traffic on your website.