What is HTML 5? To understand what exactly HTML 5 is, you need to understand the concept of HTML. What is HTML then you may ask? HTML stands for Hyper Text Markup Language. It can be defined as the most predominant markup language, which is used for the creation of web pages. After HTML came HTML 2, 3, 4 and now the latest, HTML 5. Like its immediate forerunner HTML 4, HTML 5 is also a standard for creation and presentation of content on the World Wide Web. What is the connection between HTML and Search Engine Optimization (SEO)? SEO reflects how search engines work and what people are searching for and it also optimizes the website, which involves editing its content, HTML and other source coding. So, SEO is basically used to enhance HTML source coding. Though the new HTML 5 may affect web developers and web designers as it appears to be a programming language but it is still an XML based presentation language. Its new tags and elements are very easy to use though its complexity can lead one to believe otherwise. It would be important to discuss the effects of HTML 5 on SEO to understand the concept in a better manner.
- HTML 5 will enable a web designer to tell the search engines how to segment a page. Segmentation is the separation of a page into several separate parts like headers, footers, menu, main content etc.
- The introduction of a new tag will allow the marking of separate entries in an online publication, like a blog or a magazine. It will do away with the tag.
- The new tag in HTML 5 can be used to identify separate sections on a page, chapter or a book. Each section can then have its separate HTML heading.
- Another feature, the tag, though does not allow the inclusion of information like the tag, can still prove to be useful for SEO purposes.
- One of the most important new tags would be the tag, which can be used to identify a collection of links to other pages.
The above mentioned are some of the major tags that will affect SEO apart from the new