From the Panda to the Penguin and to the latest Mobilegeddon algorithm update, Google has been tweaking its algorithms since 2011 to offer high-quality search results to its information-seeking user. The genius brains at Google keep analyzing user behavior and come up with new updates to polish its ranking algorithm. It seeks to filter out search results and rank sites that provide high value through content at the top while pushing down those that don't.
Studying the Google's regular updates for search engine ranking over the years, it all boils down to the user aspect that is holding the strings of SERP's ranking functionality. User-friendly content needs to be the top priority of the astute SEO heads to get a higher ranking on various search engines. In this write-up, we have discussed the five user-friendly optimization tips that would help you conquer both the user as well as the search engines.
Strong Internal Linking:
Internal linking allows the user to explore more about the topic they are reading. Providing a seamless flow of information to the user through linking the content with the content on other pages of the website is indispensable for making your website user-friendly. It keeps the audience engaged with the website for longer haul by giving them more information to dwell upon. A strong internal linking is an inescapable part of your SEO strategy as it not only directs the user towards a specific content on your own domain but also improves your SERP ranking.
A content that is interlinked with other pages allows Google as well as the audience to realize the importance of the content. Moreover, it also allows the Google spiders to crawl through your website for a higher ranking on search engine. Indexing of the page becomes easy for Google when you build strong internal links for your page.
Primary Keywords In Titles Tags:
- Adding the primary keywords in the title tag allows not just the search engines but also the user to have a better understanding of the page and the content that is running on it. The titles tags are the first place of contact between the user and the web page and largely affect the first impression that the user has for your website. Including the primary keyword in the title tags and meta tags would clearly and concisely tell the user about the main topic of the page.
- The title tags appear in the browser tab, browser bar and also on the search engine result pages when people make a search. Adding primary keywords on the title tags enable the users to know the details of the page even when a number of tabs are open on the browser, thus enhancing the usability. Using the keywords in a passive voice positively affects usability.
Optimized Site Images:
- Adding images is definitely the shortcut to increase the appeal of the page. Images can be processed 60,000 times faster than any other form of written content and that's the reason why they are capable of providing a higher user engagement. They can grasp the fancy of the audience and help them understand better about the product/service offered there. However, when it comes to pleasing search engines, just adding captivating images is not enough.
- The images need to be optimized with ALT Tags otherwise the search engine spider would just not be able to crawl through it. In order to optimize the images for SEO while also increasing their usability, it is important that you fill in the ALT attributes, optimize the image titles with keywords and also add a caption with the relevant keywords. By doing so, you will allow the user as well as the search engine spider to understand the image better.
Long, Unique And Useful Content:
- Content is the king and quality content would always trump quantity when it comes to boosting user engagement as well as search engine optimization. Google ranks website on the basis of the content it delivers and so does the user. Regularly posting unique and useful content is a must to so that the user has something to look forward to on your website.
- Keeping the user-experience in the spotlight, Google has come up with various algorithm updates to ensure that top-quality, relevant content reaches the user. A great content can skyrocket the SERP ranking. In current times, user is driven towards long, information-rich content and even Google ranks long content (approx. 1,800 words) more than the short 500-1,000 words content.
Target Long-Tail Keywords:
- Targeting the long-tail keywords should be among your top SEO strategies in 2017. As opposed to the general, short-tail keywords, you can easily rank for long-tail keywords on any search engine. They may provide less visibility that the other category but are sure to increase the conversion rates.
- A user who lands on your page after typing the long-tail keyword is more likely to convert than the ones who go for shorter ones. Long-tail keywords are more user-centric as they perfectly offer what the user wants. These are search engine friendly and less competitive. Moreover, you can easily get higher ranking for the long-tail keywords that offer a more user-centered content.
Google has tweaked its ranking algorithms to focus more on user-experience for ranking the sites. Today, a web page has to be well-optimized for search engines as well as provide valuable content to the users to gain a higher ranking on various search engine result pages. The one who does it better than the others in this game of optimization fetches the top spot.