Web 2.0 is a new concept which has gained prominence in the World Wide Web. It facilitates a user friendly design, easy sharing of information with other users on the internet like movies, documents, etc. and collaboration on the World Wide Web. As a result, separate Software is no longer required for these tasks. Blogs, Social-networking sites, Video-sharing, Wikis, RSS Feeds and podcasts are all examples of Web 2.0.Enlisted below are certain features of Web 2.0 that have changed the face of internet as we know it:
- With the advent of Web 2.0, we can share our lives each day with other users on the Internet. Information sharing has become so easier that it can be made available to the users within seconds.
- Interactivity is another important feature of Web 2.0.It does not limit the users to passive viewing of information but makes healthy and live interaction possible between the users. The developmentof Web 2.0 has facilitated two-way communication between the users all round the globe. This has been made possible with the introduction of the social networking sites and blogs, where people can express their thoughts and ideas without any fear.
- Web 2.0 involves the use of plug-ins and other software extensions for better management of the content and to facilitate interaction between the users.
- With Web 2.0, searching content on the net is easy and convenient. Punch in the keyword and you can find all the information related to that subject. It also allows the user to create their own website and update the contents as and when required.
- Innovative progress in this web tool has made people more aware and informed about many events not only in their own country but all round the world. Users can read the newspapers of various countries, share live-feeds, participate in discussion forums and form a balanced opinion of issues.
Although Web 2.0 is gaining popularity in the market but it is believed that this technology will cause more harm as it has and will increase the users dependence on the internet. But, if careful check is kept on its development then it can also empower the masses.