A Portal is a single point of access to accumulated information and applications. It is basically a website that has a rich navigation structure. A Portal is a virtual front door that displays everything from right from HTML content to intricate web services such as content, numerous hyperlinks, organized tabs, sub-pages, etc. Users can access the resources and functionality of any Portal through a Uniform Resource Location (URL). A unified web-based interface helps in presenting diverse applications and content to users on a single page. The view of a Portal can also be customized by changing the look of the interface and adding pages or portlets.
Classifications Of Portal
- Enterprise Information Portal:
This type of Portal contains information that is created and published by others but not the owners of the Portal. Announcements of corporate programs, events, reports, key business decisions, meeting schedule tools, etc., can be accessed through a Corporate Portal.
- Content Management Portal:
This type of Portal has self-service publishing features. The users of such Portal can publish as well as retrieve the information within the portal framework. Features like check-in/check-out capabilities, version control, security mechanism, etc., are the parts of this kind of Portal.
Portal Framework is the process that includes rendering and customization of the portals. Through Portal Framework, the developed portals are converted into HTML pages. These HTML pages appear on the World Wide Web and can be browsed by internet users. With the help of several portal framework tools, all the underlying frameworks and modifications are easily done to achieve the desired results.
Portal Development Cycle
The formation and management of a Portal is done following a complete portal life cycle. The different phases of this portal life cycle are:
Features And Benefits Of Portal Development
The features and benefits of Portal Development are explained in the below-mentioned points:
Hence, Web Portal Development becomes a pre-requisite for a string online presence of any and every business.
- Aggregation: All content and applications at a single place
- Customization:The look and feel of the portal can be customized as per the preferences of the user
- Personalization:Specific content can be obtained by the user according to the interests and needs
- Organization: All the information and applications can be organized as per the liking to make better sense
- Integration:Multiple applications and sources can be worked upon in a unified manner
- Content Management:Conception, administration, and delivery of content
- Content Repurposing:Inclusion of multiple disparate data sourced content