Domain Names are used in various Application-Specific Naming, Networking Contexts, and Addressing Purposes, which are organized in sub domains or subordinate levels of the nameless DNS root domain. Individuals use domain names as host identifiers, or hostnames in Web Hosting Applications.
What are Top-Level Domains?
The first-level set of domain names are the Top-Level Domains, which are also called as TLDS. These Top-Level Domains are registered by Administered, Domain Name Registrars, etc. Internet users encounter Top-Level Domains each time as they access the internet. Top-level domains help in identifying the type of an organization. They contain three or more letters, usually describing the group. It can also be defined as the remaining part of the domain name.
Top-Level Domains includes :
- Generic Top-Level Domains (gTLDs)
- Prominent Domains like.com, .net, .org, etc.
- Country Code Top-Level Domains (ccTLDs)
For internet users, it's not difficult to identify the Top-Level Domains, when they access the Internet. One can choose specific Top-Level Domains as per the nature of the website like educational, traveling, language, commercial, etc. There are Twenty Generic Top-Level Domain Extensions, in which some are highly renowned in comparison to others.
List of Twenty Generic Top-Level Domains
- .aero is used within the air transport sector
- .biz is used for business websites
- .coop for a cooperative group
- .cat for Catalan language and culture
- .com for unrestricted commercial use
- .edu for educational organizations usually at the collegiate level
- .info is utilized by unrestricted informational sites
- .int for international organizations created by a treaty
- .jobs for employment sites
- .mobi represents mobile device websites
- .museum is used by museums
- .name is for families and individuals
- .pro is profession specific
- .net was originally used for network infrastructures only but now is unrestricted
- .org is also currently unrestricted but used to be utilized by organizations only
- .tel is utilized by services that connect between telephones and the internet
- .travel is used by travel agents, hotels, airlines, and any business within the tourism industry
- .gov for areas of the government as well as agencies within a country
- .asia represents individuals, companies as well as organizational groups within the Asia-Pacific geographic location
Country code top-level domains represent different countries and territories. There are currently a few top-level extensions used in many contexts like:
- .dj represents the country Djibouti but is also used by disc jockeys
- .nu is used by the country Niue but also means now in the Nordic language
Each country and territory across the globe has a top-level country code like:
- .mx for Mexico
- .fr for France
- .va for Vatican City
- .ca for Canada
- .de for Germany
- .hk for Hong Kong
- .us for United States
Top-level Domain Extensions are an essential part of the URL, which cannot be completed without a Top-level Domain. To use Top-level Domain Extensions has become a norm, because of the expanding arena of Web World and this trend is set to continue in the future as well.