Did you know that the e-commerce industry will generate revenue of whopping $4.5 trillion by the year 2021? And by 2040, nearly 95% of all the purchases would be made online? With numbers suggesting a golden future for e-commerce, no wonder a majority of the retail brick and mortar store are switching to a virtual commerce store. And its not just the established stores; countless entrepreneurs are also coming up with new product & service ideas to make some profits from the booming e-commerce industry. But just having an e-commerce store will not guarantee success in the competitive online marketplace. You need to be aware of some factors that can help you succeed in e-commerce. If you are also taking a plunge into the world of e-commerce, here are some of the things that can ensure success in your online ventures.
SEO Will Bring Them To Your E-Commerce Store
- The first and foremost thing for your e-commerce site to succeed in the online marketplace is the ranking it has on search engines. Keywords, whether for the homepage or the product page, play a critical role in bringing more traffic to your e-commerce site. Relevant keywords that have high exact match search volume should be used in optimizing the product pages. Researching the competitor offering similar products or services should also help you find the right keywords for your business. Website speed should also be optimized for more traffic. Nearly 40% of the users tend to abandon a site if it takes more than 3 seconds to load. Not only does your site speed help in retaining the users but is also an important criterion for higher ranking.
- On-page optimization of the landing pages and the product pages also holds the key to more niche traffic. Site structure, internal linking, back linking, snippets, tags, customer reviews, etc., should be taken care of to bring in more traffic to your e-commerce site. Apart from all that, adding blog content, getting guest blogs published on niche high authority sites, adding FAQ content, etc., can also help in your search engine optimization of the e-commerce site.
User-Experience Will Make Them Stay
- In addition to having a great UI, online shoppers are also expecting the e-commerce sites to offer a great user experience. There are many tips to improve the UX of an e-commerce site. Firstly, the feel of the e-commerce site should be in sync with the product/service that you are offering. Apart from that, there are many other elements on an e-commerce site that can make the experience more pleasant and make the users stay. Among these elements, your site navigation, quality of product images, shopping cart placement, etc., are some elements that make the user like your site even more.
- Many e-commerce sites are also offering the option for comparing products and even sharing them with friends on social networking sites to get their approval. Interactive videos of the products being showcased on your e-commerce site are also something that all the e-shoppers are expecting from the online stores. Optimizing high-quality images to make them load faster, seamless accessibility to products, and easy mode of communication are some other things that can help you gain an edge over your competitors.
Easy Checkout Will Make Them Pay
- With 75.6% average cart abandonment rate, many e-commerce sites suffer from the situation where buyer even adds his favorite products in the cart but due to some problem, he/she abandons it before making the payment. By offering an easy checkout process, e-commerce store owners and merchants can minimize cart abandonment rate and boost sales. Unexpected shipping costs and the need to create a new user account for checkout are the top two reasons why online shoppers refuse to make payments and leave their products in the cart. To make them pay, it is imperative that the checkout process should be made more transparent and easier.
- Some of the most effective ways to funnel the traffic towards making payment are reducing the number of fields required for checkout, enabling guest checkout option, and adding multiple payment facilities. You can also ask your e-commerce website developer to offer checkout from the product page itself without taking the customer through different confusing steps.
Personalized Marketing Will Make Them Come Back
- To make the customers come back to your e-commerce site for their next purchase, personalized marketing will come to your assistance. With big data offering constant insights into the shopping behavior, the device being used, interests, habits, time of shopping, locations, etc., of the buyers, personalized marketing can be a great tool to make the shoppers come back to your site for purchase. Today's customers want a personalized experience that is tailored to especially meet their needs. With 90% of the marketers considering personalization as the future, creating personalized offers for marketing with definitely make them spend more on your online store.
- Starting off with segmentation, you can keep track of their browsing behavior, search history, and previous purchases to offer a personalized experience. Other ways can be to personalize their search results, personalized emails or push notifications regarding any offer on the products they've recently viewed, product recommendations, category specific discounts, complementary products, etc. Moreover, offering special discounts to returning customers can make them loyal to your store as well.
On An Ending Note
While these were some of the top factors that can help you succeed in e-commerce, we cannot call this list as exhaustive of all the factors for successful e-commerce. Many other factors like quick delivery, same day delivery, easy returns, m-commerce, secured shipments, etc., are also some important factors that can help you gain success in the competitive world of e-commerce.